Hey there, it’s your girl the over packer. The girl who went to France for one month and packed like 7 pairs of shoes (or more). How am I supposed to fit all of my stuff in one suitcase and a duffle bag?! I’ll tell you how, by forcing yourself to not overpack, investing in space bags, and keeping in mind how expensive it is to have a lot of luggage when you travel.
So for my trip I need a lot of clothing options, but also not too many. I had to think of items that would all work well together. So nothing too flashy, or it would only go well with one other item. Lucky for myself, I already buy clothes with that exact thought in mind.
I also had to think of luggage and space that I would have. When traveling look into the limits of weight and size for checked and carry-on bags. When flying domestic, carry on bags don’t have a weight limit. But, INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS HAVE A WEIGHT LIMIT! Learn from my mistakes, when flying back from France I had to pay a pretty penny to get my carry-on onto the flight. Do not do that to yourself, so look into that before you arrive at the airport!
So for my decision of what bags to take, it was cheapest and within the limits to take my largest suitcase for my clothes and shoes and whatever else for my checked bag. Then looking at the limits for my carry-on for Virgin Australia I saw that my bag could not be larger than 48x34x23 centimeters or roughly 18x13x9 inches and no heavier than 7 kilograms or roughly 15 pounds. So, I decided to bring a duffel bag for my carry-on. I am allowed one personal item so I will be bringing my backpack. Smart because it is durable and larger than a purse, oh and I will be going to school abroad and will need to carry school stuff with me; but, small details…
Below you’ll find my ultimate packing list for all of my bags!
Here you can see my first YouTube video and my attempt at a stop motion video about packing my big suitcase.
What’s in my big suitcase
- 9 blouses
- 11 t-shirts
- 6 pairs of shorts
- 2 pairs of athletic shorts/2 workout tank tops
- 1 flannel
- 1 pfg boating shirt/1 sun protection cardigan
- 5 dresses
- 3 rompers
- 4 pairs of jeans
- 2 paris of pajama pants/shorts
- 1 pair of sweatpants
- 2 sweaters
- Loads of intimates/bras
- 3 bathing suit tops/3 bathing suit bottoms
- Toiletries over 3 oz like: sunscreen/contact solution/moisturizer/etc
- Flip flops (thongs as the Aussies call it)2 pairs of flats/tennis shoes
- Tote bag/Laundry bag/Pop-up hamper/Blank cards and envelopes
- 2 outlet converters
- 2 baseball caps
What’s in my Carry-on
- Outfit for LA: skirt/black shirt
- Outfit for the plane: leggings/ loose fitting tank top
- Outfit for when I first arrive: shorts/tank top
- Outfit for second day: shorts/blouse
- Double lined socks
- Jean jacket
- Fleece pullover
- TSA approved toiletries
- 2 facemasks (for rehydrating my face after the 14 hour flight)
- Keds/Flip flops
- Makeup/Face wipes
- Whatever overflows from the big suitcase/backpack or vice versa
What’s in my backpack
- Important documents
- Forms of identification
- Travel journal
- Inflight essentials: eye mask/headphones/gum/lotion/hand sanitizer/wipes
- Glasses case
- Neck pillow [Because ya girl isn’t gonna wake up with a pain in her neck after 14 hours on a plane]
- Medication/Doctor’s note for my medication
I hope this list is helpful to any preparing to study abroad or go on a longer vacation!